The Azienda Agricola Barone Cornacchia has an ancient tradition that has its roots in the late sixteenth century when the Cornacchia family received, by the King of Naples, the baronial title and the task of controlling the vast estates that stretched around the Fortress of Civitella (TE), on the borderland of Bourbon Kingdom.
After the unification of Italy in 1861, the family had to leave the fortress and retreat to a game reserve. It still resides there today, in a village in the municipality of Torano Nuovo. The premises of the winery are also there. This area has always shown its vocation to viticulture being characterized by hills with excellent exposure, stony limestone soil and an ideal microclimate, thanks to its proximity to the Adriatic Sea and the Gran Sasso of Italy.
In early 1900, Baron Filippo Vizzarro Cornacchia took up the tradition of wine, selected ancient clones and planted new vineyards. In 1969, the clone Montepulciano R/7 Biotype Teramano was selected precisely in the vineyard of the Barons Cornacchia and, until 2007, it was among the very few clones of this variety to be used around Abruzzo.
Today the company is proud of its 50 hectares under vines and 60 arable ones. It is still managed directly by the Cornacchia family, nowadays by Filippo and Caterina Cornacchia with criteria based on terroir, tradition and eco sustainability. The objective is to maintain the typical characteristics of the wines, expression of the exceptional area of origin with a production focused on indigenous grapes. Barone Cornacchia is a certified ORGANIC farm. It does not then use GMOs, fertilizers, synthetic chemical herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.